The Patient/Staff Education SIG promotes excellence in nursing practice through patient and staff education competency of nurses in ambulatory care.
In November 2013, the Patient Education and Staff Education Special Interest Groups (SIGs) merged into the Patient/Staff Education SIG to enhance the existing work being done by both groups and provide a forum for sharing all educational material.
Promote excellence in nursing practice through patient and staff education.
- Support the American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN) strategies.
- Engage and empower members through collegial relationships with members of the SIG and of AAACN.
- Encourage professional development of nurses through continuing education, academic education and professional certification.
- Provide resources to improve competency of nurses in Ambulatory Care related to patient and staff education.
To advance the art and science of patient and staff education in the ambulatory care nursing arena.
We are professional registered nurses and recognized leaders in the patient and staff education ambulatory care environments that will enhance the professional growth and career advancement of its members.
Trina Roufs, MSN, RN-BC
Alice Brown, RN
Elizabeth Collins, BSN, RN
CMDR Assanatu I. Savage, PhD, DNP, FNP-BC, CDR, NC USN RN-BC
Each SIG has its own Community for all your networking needs, providing archiving of discussions, a document library, a search feature, digest options, customizable profiles, access to fellow SIG members, and more. The Community also adapts to the use of mobile devices. Take advantage of your most valuable membership benefit – convenient access to colleagues in your practice area.
Build Community and Content with your Colleagues - Enter a place for knowledge exchange, content curation, idea incubation, and professional networking.
Join the Discussion - Ask or answer questions with your peers. Our dynamic discussion forums provide the tools you need to communicate with leaders and partners in your field.
Browse the Document Library - Search and find content & media when you need it. Build a knowledge base of industry best practices, sample documents, spreadsheets, pictures, videos, and more.
To visit the Connected Community and/or join SIGs:
- Visit the Community.
- Log in as a AAACN member.
- On the All Communities page, you will see all SIGs are you already part of, and options to join any SIGs you are not currently part of.
- Click on your SIG(s) Communities to visit, or click "Join Community" on the right side of the page, select your email digest preference, and you're set!
Members of AAACN may join as many SIGs as desired. Join the conversation today!
If you have any difficulty getting into the community, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
The Preceptor Guide for Ambulatory Care Nursing was developed by the Patient/Staff Education Special Interest Group (SIG) as a resource for developing a Preceptor program in an ambulatory care setting and a tool to help translate the Ambulatory Care Nursing Orientation and Competency Assessment Guide into practice. The Guide is available free to AAACN members in the online store. Note: you must be logged in to your Member account to download the Preceptor Guide for free.
The SIG developed a Patient Education Toolkit of patient education resources, including a bibliography of patient education books, a guide to consumer health websites, and links to resources for Diabetes, Emergency Preparedness/Bioterrorism, Gastroenterology, Health Literacy, Patient and Family-Centered Care, Pediatric Health.