Telehealth Nursing Practice Scope and Standards
The Scope and Standards of Practice for Professional Telehealth Nursing, 6th Edition aligns telehealth nursing with extensive health care environmental and technological transformation.
The Scope presents new thinking about telehealth as an integral component of today’s health care practice. Inspired by the vision, values and traditions of the past, this edition of the Scope and Standards of Telehealth Nursing reflects current professional norms, practices, and expectation, and recognizes the constantly evolving landscape or professional health systems.
Sixteen Standards are included in the publication with the first six standards addressing the six phases of the nursing process. The remaining ten standards address professional performance in telehealth practice.
Use the Telehealth Nursing Scope and Standards to:
- Develop the structures and processes of telehealth nursing including policies, procedures, role descriptions and competencies.
- Expand telehealth nursing knowledge, skills, and attitudes.
- Expedite the development of telehealth care delivery process models
- Evaluate telehealth performance using performance appraisals, peer reviews, and reflective practice.
- Stimulate telehealth research and evidence-based practice.
- Conduct quality assurance and performance improvement initiatives.
- Prepare for the ambulatory care nursing certification exam, which contains questions on telehealth nursing and is the recommended exam to validate telehealth nursing knowledge.
The following standards are pertinent to the ambulatory care setting:
Ambulatory Care Nursing
These standards promote effective clinical and administrative management of increasingly complex ambulatory care RN roles and responsibilities in a changing health care environment.
Telehealth is an integral part of ambulatory care nursing practice. These standards promote effective clinical and administrative management of services provided by RNs via telecommunications technology.
Care Coordination and Transition Management (CCTM)
CCTM is a critical role for RNs in the transformation of health care. These standards describe the responsibilities for which RNs practicing CCTM are accountable in ambulatory care and other settings.